1907 LEMP BEER LADY FALSTAFF LITHOGRAPH AD SIGN TRAY
We find the most interesting Vintage Sign. Here are the best deals we found for the 1907 LEMP BEER LADY FALSTAFF LITHOGRAPH AD SIGN TRAY for sale on the Internet.
If you want to find similar items currently for sale on eBay please click here.
1907 LEMP BEER LADY FALSTAFF LITHOGRAPH AD SIGN TRAY Picture(s) and Description:
Very rare, original, ca1907, large size, Pre-Prohibition, Tin Lithograph Advertising Sign / Charger for "Falstaff Beer" brewed by the William J. Lemp Brewing Co. of St. Louis, Missouri. This wonderful chromolithograph on Tin, "Charger" type Advertising Sign measures approx. 16" in diameter and features a wonderful image of a beautiful young maiden sipping some of Lemp's finest. The shields feature the “Lemp / St. Louis” trademark which is what differentiates this charger from the reproduction, which has 2 shields that read "Falstaff". The chromolithography on the Sign is of the highest quality. William J. Lemp Brewing Co. / Lemp Brewery was the original name of the brewing company that became the Falstaff Brewing Corporation. Founded in St. Louis, Missouri, USA, in 1838, the brewing company existed for many years as an independent label. During Prohibition the Falstaff Trademark was purchased by Griesedieck Beverage Co. and the name of the company was changed to the Falstaff Corporation. From this time forward the Lemp name did not appear on any form of Falstaff Advertising. This rare and beautiful, Pre-Prohibition Falstaff Beer Advertising Sign is in very good to excellent condition with the exception of the scratch along the maidens chest (about 2 inches long) and the small blemish near her ring finger (about 1/2" in diameter) - the colors are bright and vibrant and the Charger displays beautifully. There are a few VERY small, thin surface scratches and a tiny raised ding near Falstaff’s sword (appears as a small raised bump as if the Sign had been hit on the rear - there is no associated surface damage). Please see the scans below for a good representation of the outstanding condition of this large and very attractive Falstaff Beer Advertising Sign / Charger. Overall this wonderful, ca1907 Charger is exceptionally well preserved and displays beautifully. A very rare and very beautiful, ca1907, large size, Pre-Prohibition, Tin Lithograph Lemp Brewery Advertising Sign / Charger for "Falstaff Beer" and a fantastic addition to any collection!!!! A Bit about Tin Lithographed Chargers and the history of the Falstaff Beer Chargers: Today, the term "charger" brings to the minds of most breweriana collectors the concave metal advertising trays which became popular after the lithography onto metal process was perfected over a century ago. The derivation of the term "charger" actually pre-dates the invention of the lithography onto metal technology, and was coined in the 1840's to describe a new type of large, mass produced metal serving tray. The original chargers were used in kitchens and dining rooms as meat platters that, because they were bowed in the middle, could also hold gravy without spilling, which helped to keep the main dish hot until it was consumed. When American Art and its competitors starting producing lithographed art on this shape of a tray in the 1890's, the new form of advertising was quickly nicknamed a charger by tavern patrons, after the earlier kitchen platters, and the moniker stuck. The William J. Lemp Brewing Company distributed six different charger designs with a diameter of 24” and two with a 16” diameter. The first of the larger size were manufactured in the early 1900's, with new designs to the set added every 2 or 3 years over a fifteen-year period.. The two 16" diameter chargers, one featuring Sir John Falstaff, the second, a buxom young lady toasting with a glass of Lemp beer, were both issued in 1907. When the Griesedieck Beverage Co. purchased the Falstaff Trademark in 1920 they also inherited the remaining Lemp / Falstaff Advertising Chargers and continued to distribute the Signs but overpainted the “Lemp” name of Sir Falstaff’s Shield replacing it with “Falstaff”.